Monday 25 January 2010

History in the making, young people taking over the council

Tomorrow night's Full Council will make history when two young people who won a competition to speak at the Full Council will formally move a motion calling on the council and Reading Buses to consider reducing bus fares for young people. The two school students will be moving the motion on my behalf as I have decided to make way for them to put their argument forward as it is a priority to get young people, service users on the buses to be central to decision making.

This is unprecedented in Reading Council and as far as I am aware, other councils as only councillors are allowed and have moved motions that determines the policy of the council. This event marks the 11 Million Take over day 2009 in which a national initiative aimed to get young people actively involved in shaping decisions that affect their lives.

I very much look forward to the council motion and I know the young people will be excellent. It will probably be the best speech that I never made!

No comments:

Post a Comment