Thursday 11 November 2010

Why I wear a red poppy


As part of my job as a Senior Probation Officer I went to a presentation yesterday given by the 145 South Brigade about the rising numbers of veterans entering the criminal justice system. The Captain giving the presentation gave an incredible insight into the life of a soldier from training to combat. He stated that many serviceman and women come from deprived backgrounds and have low self esteem on entering the Armed Forces. He said that they are trained to have controlled aggression and are very well looked after. He then gave an incredible insight into the pressures and nightmare scenarios a soldier has to face, all in the remit of protecting the country. The Captain outlined that armed service personal are different from the rest of society because of what they do, constantly putting their lives at risk protecting the values of the nation and he said that many soldiers struggle to understand why many in society do not understand or value what they do and why they are doing it.

I have had scant knowledge of the Armed Forces and will never try to claim that I know and understand the armed forces and I have been on numerous anti-war demonstrations and would do so again. Although I had one uncle killed in World War Two in the Merchant Navy trying to supply the Russians food and equipment and I have had four other uncles, all Irish, serve in the Armed Forces in WWII, one taken prisoner at Dunkirk and another in the RAF as a Rear Gunner. Whilst I am not a militarist I am proud of them and what they did for the country. Hence my personal pride in wearing a red poppy.

The Red Poppy is the symbol of the sacrifice made by service personnel. It is the charitable focus of the British Legion, who need our support. I respect the golden generation who gave their lives so we may be free, I respect the armed forces personnel who are sent out to overseas places that are unwelcoming and dangerous so that our way of life may be protected. Whilst there may be questions about the validity of various wars we must respect and support our soldiers who do not question but serve our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment